It’s once again time for a release. This release can mostly be described as a big bugfix one. Mostly taking care of some bugs introduced in R20 (which is no longer linked since R19 is better to use when testing if things work in a previous version). Anyway, the main new features are:
- FrameEval — A nice and convenient way to do almost any per frame operation conceivable
- RemoveGrain/Repair — Now ported to be native plugins
- Text — A very handy function to print text for debug purposes
There are also plenty of small improvements such as error messages being printed on VFW error clips, optimizations of common functions and fixes here and there.
For R22 the long C++11 migration will start. The ultimate goal is to remove the dependency on Qt completely but that will most likely take over a year to accomplish. As a short term goal writing more filters is my priority.
About 3 months since the last release and another one is ready. The main news are plugin auto-loading on every OS. The other big change is that invoking a function per frame is possible. This mean that every Avisynth script in existence can now be converted to VapourSynth. It’s also possible to make interesting new ones…
Other notable fixes:
- Opening a VapourSynth script inside a VapourSynth script now works
- Cache size adjustment should work better now
- Requesting an error frame twice no longer causes a deadlock
- Addborders /Blankclip now default to black background color instead of the “zero memory pink”
- No more crashes when Avisynth plugins are passed a colorspace Avisynth 2.5 doesn’t support
The core is mostly complete now (I always keep saying this until I remember something that’s missing). What’s left is mostly some code cleanup and merging simple text drawing into the core. Feel free to take a look at the bug tracker for some simple coding tasks to do. Especially adding constant folding to the Expr filter is a good starter task.
That’s all for this release. Next up will probably be a port of dither tool’s re-imaging of RemoveGrain. And the image writer I keep getting distracted from.
I’ve posted the first release candidate for R20. Find more information about the changes and report any problems in the doom9 thread.
The most noticeable improvement is that since the FrameEval() function was added every Avisynth script can now also be expressed in VapourSynth.